Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 524 Times in 350 Posts
Originally Posted by Ryan_M
Ok You guys have my interest...

I started reading the entire thread but it's a long one, and it seemed to get into a cyclical back and forth argument re: time. So sorry I didnt read all the things!

I have looked into this before and as I understand it, it's just melt the wax, put chain in wax (and this is plain paraffin wax? like the stuff at the grocery store for 'canning'?), leave for some time and swirl chain around to work in wax, let chain drip after. All that seems fine. What put a hard stop on it for me is what I've read of life expectancy of the wax as a lube. Typical numbers have been 150-180km. That could mean doing it every ride, or when I get into really long rides the wax won't even last a single ride. What then? Carry a second chain to replace part way through the ride?
I go @500 (800 Km) miles between waxing unless I get into rain and then sooner. Sometimes only a couple hundred miles (300kms) in the winter. I use old candles that the neighbor ladies donate to my cause and several chains for rotation. HTH