Old 11-12-10, 09:49 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,221 Times in 2,367 Posts
Originally Posted by AdamDZ

So here are some questions:

How do you folks deal with such withdrawals?
How do you find the time for extensive touring?
What do you do for living that affords you the time?
Have many of you made such changes to your lives?
Any tips and ideas, suggestions?

Adam
I deal with the withdrawal by planning the next trip. I finished my tour this spring (Arkansas is actually pretty nice to tour in and the weather was good in late April/early May)and started thinking about the next one. My legs were hurting, I was tired from 2 weeks on the road and I drove from Texarkana to Denver over 2 days thinking about a tour of the Ohio River Valley for next fall the whole way back.

Since I've been at my job for nearly 30 years, I earn a bucket load of vacation and I make a good living. I'm in research so my deadlines are different from most people.

My wife actually encourages me to go touring by myself since she doesn't want to participate in the usual suffer fest but she does go with me on occasion. I have to keep things mellow for her (she'll meet me in Pittsburgh for the ride to DC) but I don't really mind.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!