TallTourist

Bikes: Vivente Deccan XXXL Slightly modified

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Never Rode a Fatbike, Considering One as my Sole Bike

Hey there,

as you can imagine with my name I'm very tall (6'8"/203cms) and while I've seen fatbikes and want to try one I just assumed they would never fit. It's also worthy of mention that I am truly nomadic, even when I'm not touring my job involves almost constant travel so I don't bother to own a house or an apartment, this means the bike I have is the only bike I have, no more bike collections for me. I do mostly road touring now, not because I love highways but because my bike sucks even on rough dirt roads, I want to get away from all the noise of vehicles etc do stuff like the GDMBR and Trans Equador Bike Route etc as well as road riding. I'm also wanting to move toward bike packing instead of the rack and pannier setup because I keep snapping rack bolts even on relatively benign dirt roads.

So, my question to you, experienced fatbikers, is do you think it's a bad idea to get a fatbike if it's your only bike?

I should mention despite having owned a top end road racing bike and a self built road touring bike among many others my favorite bike was a $500 Del Sol town bike with 7 speeds and a suspension fork, why? It was fun! I could ride up and down stairs on it and jump curbs and all that good stuff and it was comfortable too with a more upright seating position even though it had a cheap foam/plastic saddle I could still ride further and suffer no discomfort unlike on my road bikes. So while I do love to go fast I'd much rather have a bike that can go pretty much anywhere instead of something that can only be used in a specific way or it will break.

Been looking at the Surly Pugsly 2.0 with wide eyes even though they have a tendency to crack at the chain stay the repairs always seem to hold.

The argument about parts availability is pretty much moot too since I can almost never find anything for my current bike outside the first world and it's fairly typical as far as tourers go (albeit a much larger than average frame).

So yeah...thoughts?