Old 07-26-22, 04:46 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by timtak
Thank you also for the ad hominem regarding my consumption of alcohol. It is something I am ambivalent about. Perhaps bf will encourage me to drink less. Ooh, that would be good.

Tim
It isn't an ad hominem fallacy when you have held yourself up as the model for keeping yourself healthy. You have made your bike, your condition, your diet and your riding habits a model for others to follow in order to keep from becoming obese or to lose enough weight to no longer be obese. You put this into histrionic "or die" terms, implying that not to emulate you was some sort of slow-motion suicide. As a formerly very obese person who is also a sober alcoholic, I cannot begin to tell you how absurd and offensive it is for you to lecture other people about the supposed lethality of their weight when you are an active addict of a substance that clearly is lethal when used as you described. You stated very clearly that a significant portion of your calorie intake is in the form of alcohol. If that's true, there's no way you aren't doing yourself massive amounts of damage to your own body. How dare you turn around and say to people "do as I do or die!"

I know most people who read this won't understand this, but that "or you're going to die" rhetoric is really just a form of shaming and when it comes to moderate obesity, utter bs. Moderately overweight people actually have better life expectancy than moderately underweight. I don't have any tolerance for this nonsense, and I don't find your "eccentricities" on the subject amusing in the slightest.
Likes For livedarklions: