Old 09-16-22, 12:03 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
My wife and I returned from a 10-day backpack in the Cascades on 9/10. A big fire started the day before near our exit route. We were very lucky that the winds stayed favorable to our exit and we didn't die. It's believed that this fire started from a campfire. Never build a fire in the backcountry, or use a stove without a valve, not anymore. Our Optimus worked perfectly as always.

We did some of our hike on the PCT and camped with groups of thru-hikers, it being early September, which is when the bulk of them come through here. Every thru-hiker we saw in camp used a Jetboil cannister stove, all identical. I think they were the Stash model - definitely gray. They'd sit cross-legged in a circle, their Jetboils in front of them. They'd pour some dehydrated substance into them and spoon it up while they conversed. All the same. There's a group model too, but even those who were traveling together, each used their own stove.

If I were re-gearing for in-country adventures, I'd get one of the Jetboil models. Going overseas, it's always the fuel availability issue. IME liquid gas stoves have the most reliable fuel source. Or simpler, pastry for breakfast and eat in cafés.