View Single Post
Old 09-18-22, 05:31 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
Originally Posted by M Rose
the reason that the MSR fuel bottle isn’t rated for alcohol is because isopropyl alcohol dissolves the o-ring seal on the lid which will cause a leak.
Do you have any reference from MSR or other solid source to verify that is the reason? It makes sense, but I have seen a lot of unofficial mentions of a problem with a coating in the bottles. Also I believe they say it is okay for gasoline and most of the gasoline available has ethanol in it often as much as 10%. Ethanol in gasoline didn't go away. https://www.usnews.com/news/us/artic...dwest%20states.

If the problem were the o-ring that would be good news for folks who wanted to use them for alcohol since it would be simple to replace the o-ring with one that was compatible. The thing is that the o-ring is likely neoprene or nitrile already and either are pretty resistant to alcohol.

It could also be the cap itself that is the problem, but I have never read any mention of that being the problem on the MSR bottles. I find it weird that MSR has so little info that shows up in a quick search. Also I wonder how dire the consequences are since I have read of folks unknowingly using the bottles for alcohol and have heard of none complaining of serious problems. Maybe MSR just want to be super cautious and only advertise their product for the limited specific use it was designed for.

Last edited by staehpj1; 09-18-22 at 05:39 AM.
Likes For staehpj1: