View Single Post
Old 03-10-23, 08:42 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 757 Times in 562 Posts
I found trail running was a better answer for outdoor activity with my dog. Our paces were more comptible that way. I did some singletrack trails with one of my dogs tagging along at times, but when I lived where there were long fast downhills it wasn't a good fit. It worked out best where the climbs and descents were short. Here riding with a dog, even a well trained one, off leash limits where you can ride.

Hauling a dog in a trailer doesn't appeal to me, but I have met folks when touring who were successful using kid trailers the ones I met used two wheeld Burley models.

My dogs were partners on the trail and the current one did tens of thousands of trail miles with me trail running, snowshoeing, backpacking and what not. My current one could be trusted to lead the way back to the car if I lose the way or it it got dark and I didn't have a headlamp. She would lead the way in the dark the perfect distance for me to be able to stay on the trail. When someone else's dogs ran off I could tell her to bring them back and she would. On a trail system she knew I could send her off to find a visiting friend who lost their way. She is now unable to do more than slowly meander around the block. She is quite old and we cater to her in what is her last year or two at best. I am back to riding as my primary outdoor activity, hitting the trails daily, but I'd still be running if Marley was able to run with me.

Oh, by the way be careful about running with a young dog. They shouldn't be pushed until their joints are developed. Opinions vary on age, but do a little reading on the topic before running or riding with a dog running along with you.

Last edited by staehpj1; 03-10-23 at 09:13 AM.
Likes For staehpj1: