View Single Post
Old 04-25-21, 10:15 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10424 Post(s)
Liked 11,896 Times in 6,094 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize
I have never found a better rim brake than single pivot 105. I've not yet tried DA, but I can't imagine how they could be better.
I have them on my main rider.
The very first road bike I bought when I started riding again back in the 90s, the Cannondale, had the first generation dual pivot brakes, and until I got the Circuit, every other bike also had dual pivots. The brakes on the Circuit work, but they take more force to stop and they're more finicky about set up - which is probably more my lack of skill as a wrench than the brakes themselves, but the dual pivots are dead simple to set up.

The brakes on Mrs. Peel are driving me batty. Second generation Dura Ace from 1980. I finally have them centered correctly, but the fronts just don't grab. I've sanded the pads at least 3 times now, adjusted the pad alignment with the rim, got rid of the excessive toe-in on one pad, but they still suck. I'm hoping that the new Kool-Stop shoes and pads cure the problem because if not this bike will be relegated to flat rides.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles