Old 08-14-17, 12:59 AM
speshelite
Banned

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A Yuuuuge Improvement in Braking Power!

So, my allez elite '15 was spec'ed with crappy "axis" dual pivots. I assume they're tektro's. They work, more or less, but modulation is awful, primarily because the brake arms are so flexy. They work well initially as the pads hit because of the dual pivot design, but when you squeeze the levers after the pads hit and bite initially, there's precious little additional braking power, regardless of how hard you squeeze.

After trying a bunch of adjustments (toe in, flat contact, changing pad clearance and angle) I just gave up and installed....

....mountain bike v brake pads! Kool Stop dual compounds! I had a few extra pair lying around from my mtb days, and I swapped out the hard and short stock pads.

The difference is Yuuuuuuge! Now, braking effort is darn near effortless (at least in comparison) Now, I can ease up on the hand pressure and modulation is good. Before, my knuckles turned whiter than a macron trump handshake.

The beauty of this upgrade is that it's

a) super cheap (didn't cost me a cent), will only set you back maybe $25

b) does NOT require a new frame like disks

c) at least a full POUND lighter than disks

These are dual compound pads so they should work pretty well in the rain as well, if riding in the rain is your kind of thing.

If you have tektro's or axis dual pivots or arent' especially thrilled with your name brand dual pivots, try swapping out for a pair of v brake pads. You may be amazed by your newfound braking power and modulation. I am so stoked now that I don't have to worry about safety and can apply a feathery touch to get full braking power.

You're welcome.

Last edited by speshelite; 08-15-17 at 12:40 AM.