Old 10-08-19, 01:34 PM
zweitesmal2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
I've read journals where people plan their entire (or large portions) tour around Warmshowers stays, as if they were Pony Express stations. It just seems wrong to utilize this network in that way. I like Warmshowers as a grass roots effort and occasionally contribute to their site but I personally would never stay with a listed host I know nothing about. I prefer solitude and rest to story telling and nights spent in some craft beer joint or mexican restaurant. This summer was spent on tour and my WS app never did function, they deleted my login information, and I never got to look up nearby hosts and their bios, something I like doing just for fun. I did run into two hosts by chance. The first announced he was the top #1 host in town before proceeding with directions to his house. He was beside himself when I said I'd rather camp in the woods. The second was some freak in a pickup plastered with Bible quotations all over. Granted, these are extreme cases but it just reinforces my hesitation about staying with folks I never met.

I imagine it would be even worse as a host, with some odd or annoying guest moving on in. I echo the already mentioned sentiment that actually meeting someone and then deciding to spend the night seems more practical.
Likes For zweitesmal2: