Old 02-16-21, 12:54 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
Something to think about: when riding with a partner on a busy road, ride close together. Riding with about a 6' distance between you and the other person will make it easier for a vehicle to pull around both of you with about the same exposure they would have passing another car. The approaching driver is more likely to give you a wider berth. Make it easier for the drivers to do the right thing and they will do it.

A following vehicle is not a good idea because of all the reasons listed above. Wear bright clothes, and use a blinking rear light.

This picture was taken on a busy highway in Iowa. My wife and I rode close together, making it easier for the cars and trucks to get around us. It required us to be aware of the situation, but we did not feel that it was dangerous. When an oncoming semi passed another truck we just pulled oft the road. Also when a truck got behind and those small rolling hills made it hard for the driver to pass us, we just pulled off the road. We often got a short horn toot of thanks as they went by.

We did use a "support vehicle in this situation. A semi-truck waved us in front of him at the tunnel's entrance, and covered our back all the way through the tunnel. I got the company's name as he passed us after we were through the tunnel, and emailed a thank you note to the company about their courteous driver. I got a note back from the company's safety officer, and a thank you from the driver. A win-win situation.

Last edited by Doug64; 02-16-21 at 05:47 PM.