Old 02-17-21, 12:29 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18396 Post(s)
Liked 15,485 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
I'The second was "turn right on unmarked road" in Kentucky; I was pretty sure the first three rights were wrong, but missed the correct right turn. Fortunately some locals just up the road, sitting on their porch, possibly watching for stupid touring cyclists, set me right.
Heh. Reminds me of a funny (to me, anyway) incident while doing ACA's Northern Tier tour. The day we rode to Glacier N.P. via the back way I was riding sweep. Caught up to the slowest rider. We got to a point where the cue was "Right at telephone junction box 12345" (or whatever it was). That would take us to U.S. 2. We had no idea what we were supposed to be looking for so, of course, we missed it. We eventually stopped to try to figure out what to do when a local in a pickup coming the other way stopped to help. Turned out we could get to U.S. 2 by staying straight. It would just involve more dirt riding. As we were about to start riding again the local asked us if we had bear spray. We did not. He told us that we were on the main bear route in the area then shook his head and said "Good luck" as if to say "Don't say I didn't warn you."

When we met up with the rest of the group someone explained that the telephone junction box was a small node sticking up out of the ground with the identification number stuck to it. There is now a road sign there.