Old 02-19-21, 06:02 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by BobG
I always got a chuckle out of this ACA diversion. Day 2 of a westbound TransAm at the end of the day when you just want to get to camp in Mineral VA. The ACA map takes you on a "scenic" 15 mile side trip to Lake Anna. You could just stay on rural VA 618 and be in Mineral in 9 miles! In fairness to the ACA mappers there are campgrounds near Lake Anna but most riders are heading for the fire station in Mineral.
VA 618 ^
I have seen quite a few places where they do that for what seems like the only purpose was to climb a huge hill for no apparent reason.

One BIG advantage of ACA maps is the listing of services, especially places to stay. On well established routes like the TA you get to take advantage of the trail others have blazed wrt little town parks, fire stations, and church yards. A new tourist riding across the plains will quickly get an education in where they are likely to be welcome. I know that I found that after riding the Trans America I was very good at finding free places to stay in the middle of the US when off of an ACA route.