View Single Post
Old 06-07-21, 08:02 AM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,395 Times in 694 Posts
French bikes of all types are fascinating to me. I've been through my phase of lovingly restoring old PX-10s, to riding PX-10s that look like they survived Verdun, to learning to love old French cheapies. Among those of us who know, you'll run into the expression "The French have a way with gaspipe," because they DID. I had a wonderful summer a couple of years back riding a c.1972 Liberia built up with 27-in wheels during the crush of the bike boom - it was really meant for 700C and you really can't put the rear wheel in with an inflated tire! I also have enjoyed the battered Mercier 200 with a mishmash of parts that, after straightening the crash-bent frame, has also turned out to be a cool bike.

Ah, but my favorite French bike yet remains the weathered c.1971 Gitane TdF I bought as a frameset with headset and BB. That one has been my primary early morning beater bike for many years now, and remains the first choice for vacations and first-light-of-day rides. I remain convinced that metric gauge Reynolds 531 is just a touch springier, though I am sure it's all in my head.
Likes For rustystrings61: