View Single Post
Old 06-24-21, 08:12 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Originally Posted by parkbrav
Can Vinegar hurt a bicycle frame if a very low amount gets sprayed onto it?

My dad's house has vinyl siding. part of the siding needed routine cleaning with water and vinegar. I brought my water sprayer normally used for the bicycle. I mixed some white vinegar in with the water in the sprayer and sprayed the siding. the siding is now clean. I forgot that the container now has a very small amount of vinegar when I sprayed down my bike. Did I do baaadddd?
No, it shouldn’t ld be a problem. The question to ask, however, just what do your think vinegar…assuming household vinegar… is going to do to clean the siding. White vinegar is 5% acetic acid in water. It’s mostly water. Adding more water makes it more mostly water. No matter what the Intertubz says, vinegar is a very poor cleaner. My favorite dumb Intertubz chemistry is to add vinegar to baking soda. It makes sodium acetate and some carbon dioxide. It cleans nothing.

Get a commercial surfactant based cleaner. It won’t hurt your bike either but will do a better job of cleaning.

Finally, why in Winter Cycling?
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Last edited by cyccommute; 07-27-21 at 08:34 AM.
Likes For cyccommute: