Old 06-24-21, 09:21 AM
acm

Bikes: '84 Centurion Pro Tour 15; '97 Cannondale M900

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by gthomson
Is there a recommended chain I should be looking at for older bikes? It sounds like it would be handy to have Verktyg's left over Sedis chains but I guess I will have to find something new.

Sorry for the confusion, the original bike I took to the bike store which was assessed with the worn chain is a newer bike and that will be addressed later. My concern and reason for the post was about my older bikes, and how to keep them running with 30+ year old components. Here's the vintage bike with the worn chain.
I wouldn't fret too much about the type of chain you use. I've only had a bad experience with a chain once, a no-name cheapo singlespeed chain I bought off amazon for a few dollars at the beginning of the pandemic which eventually failed at the quick link.

Much more important is getting one of the appropriate width (based on the number of rear cogs on your bike) and length (if your old chain didn't give you any trouble, just use the same number of links), in addition to keeping it clean and properly lubricated. I achieve the latter with simple paraffin wax with no additives. It lubricates beautifully and doesn't pick up any dirt, though waxing a chain is admittedly a massive pain in the rear.

If you're looking for a reliable, cheap chain, KMC won't steer you wrong.
Likes For acm: