View Single Post
Old 06-25-21, 12:36 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4507 Post(s)
Liked 6,373 Times in 3,665 Posts
Originally Posted by TullySteve
More on my Moto Grand Record project. I'm down to the BB. Removed the retainer ring & adjustable cup just fine. I thought the Park HCW-4 wrench would work on the drive side, but it is about 2 mm small. (The tool is marked 36mm, the fixed cup flats measure about 38). The BB I believe is a Stronglight. I am 99.9% certain it would be RH threads both sides based on vintage, model, etc. But I don't like the purchase that a large adjustable wrench gives on the narrow fixed cup flats, and I have no doubt it has never been out, so it will be tight. Is there a specialized tool I am not aware of that would fit? Any recommended hacks? This is the last part before I can get the frame to the powder coater.

I just found an old thread about this very problem from 2008. And unfortunately there was no definitive answer! Yikes. The most promising solution suggested for removal was clamping the flats in a vise. I don't know about that. I'll wait to see if anyone has anything interesting.

This usually gets a discussion going with the debate about who's method is the best one.

Seems odd to me as I have never had a fixed cup that was not standard size, I have several wrenches but my go to is my Sugino that I have had for 45 years, it never fails me.

I have a foolproof process that never fails or damages any tools, parts, frames or flesh, period.

It requires a couple of things that are very common aside from a proper wrench.

The direction in the pics is off depending on direction you're going but with this it doesn't matter, if you're going the wrong way it will "crack" loose then you reverse direction and spin it off, easy, peasy.

Likes For merziac: