mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 178 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
Bear spray maybe, but I have never bothered when bike touring, backpacking, or canoe tripping.
I've bought bear spray once, and would consider it on an off-road trip - where there is greater chance of coming around a corner and startling both a bear and myself. However, generally wouldn't if I stay on paved roads.

Cycling in Alaska, YT, BC and Montana, I've seen a share of bears including this one on side of the Cassiar Highway. Mostly black bears. I was cycling down the road and passed on other side of the road. The bear looked up briefly but seemed to be more interested in munching wildflowers, so I cycled past.

Later on that same trip, I started down the GDMBR and there were a lot more signs warning of bears and a few trail closures as well, e.g.

So I decided, better safe than sorry - and stopped in at a small shop (Boulton Trading Post) and decided to buy bear spray. This was British Columbia, so they took my name, address and personal information. I also signed a declaration that essentially said I realized bear spray could be a weapon - but my intention was not to use it on people.

Somewhat later after I had crossed the US border - and came over the Whitefish Divide - I did startle a bear. I was coming downhill and rounding a corner. Ahead of me, the bear had already heard me and was running away down the trail. So we were both startled by that. I paused long enough to make sure the bear had plenty of time to depart. After that I was a little more noisy at some of those corners.

So I see bear spray as something handy to have in top of my handle bar bag or at camp. However, not something I expect to use unless there is a sequence of (mostly unlikely) events that all happen together. I think being on a paved road - particularly some with sight distances makes those events even less likely. All together, I think I've seen at least a dozen bears along the road during cycle trips and been fortunate so far that they were either in a disinterested eating mode or running along/away from my direction of travel.