View Single Post
Old 01-05-21, 09:53 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 115 Posts
I have two winter bikes.

The first is a 2002 Giant Boulder that I converted to a full-time winter bike in 2009. It has fenders, studded tires and bar mitts, along with rust on every non-aluminum part as the result of more than a decade of riding on salted roads. It was my only winter commuter until two winters ago. Now it only sees use on really icy days when I need the studded tires, and on crazy cold days (less than -10°F) where I do a split commute and ride to the bus stop, catch the bus for a few miles, then complete the ride to work.

The other winter bike is a 2019 Salsa Mukluk. My old winter bike is really showing its age, so I decided to give a fat bike a try. I added a rear fender, front splash guard and bar mitts. Since I got it I've wound up riding this bike about 95% of the time during the winter. No studded tires, but it does pretty good on the icy spots if I drop the tire pressure and ride with some common sense. It really handles the ruts in the snow made by cars well, which is something my other winter bike didn't do.