View Single Post
Old 01-12-21, 09:35 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 1,486 Times in 870 Posts
I'm the opposite. I've only been riding on Zwift regularly since November, but so far I'm loving the big mountain climbs. It's one of my favorite aspects of the game, actually. I live in a flat area so it's my only experience with extended climbs, outside of a couple of MTB trips to Colorado a few years back. The only time I ride the flatter routes is if I'm participating in a group ride or doing workouts (in ERG mode). I've only done the Alpe once but am already looking forward to doing it again, and will probably try Ven-Top soon. I love the Radio Tower climb, and especially the steep bonus climb.

The Alpe is a tough ride mostly because of how long it is. It's not as steep as other climbs, but it never really lets up. The day I did it, my total ride was 1:45 (1:18 on the actual climb, the rest being the ride in and the descent back down). I spent nearly an hour in Zone 4 or higher on my power meter. You can dial back the intensity by lowering your trainer difficulty, or just slowing down on the climb. I also see people running workout mode up the Alpe which (assuming ERG mode) which makes the terrain irrelevant in terms of effort. I'm not sure I see the point of that, but hey... whatever spins your wheels I guess.

Any tips from others on climbing Ven-Top? How does it compare to the Alpe? I've read that it's tougher and I'm assuming longer as well, so I'm saving that for a day when I have lots of time for riding + a nap.