Old 02-09-22, 01:43 AM
RobertPaulson

Bikes: Dolan DF4, Tarmac SL7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by brawlo
You're saying you tried a Kickr?? If so, then check your settings - there's quite a few options on how to make them work. I would 100% recommend a Kickr. They have a toothed belt (at the time all other options were smooth belt = slippage at high resistance) which means even on the highest of resistance they'll hold. Do yourself a favour and have another go with a standing start at 100%
Sorry I didn't write that very well, I had a go on a wattbike trainer model (like the pro but lower resistance) at our velodrome, its a pretty old and battered one which nobody seems that sure if its working ok or not BUT fan 11 and magnet at 7/8 was still too easy to spin up to 120rpm from a start which its not like I should have the watts to do (1600w max, but 18s first lap from gate so I do have a fair amount of torque), either way it felt nothing like a real gate start. Thanks for the reply though, I'm trying to find a wattbike pro to have a spin on so might as well seek out a kickr v5 at a shop and jump on that too, I just assumed from topflightpro's reply above that it wasn't night and day vs the core. Hopefully I don't bend the chainring of the bike they have on it!

Basically the kickrcore works ok enough that I can do near any other intervals outside of starts, so if a new trainer isn't going to let me practice the hips on those first 3/4 'deadlift the bars' type revs out of the gate I might as well stick with that rather than drop big (for me) cash on a new trainer. Granted I could just get a cheapo fixie set-up with a hacked together gate and do reps on a quiet road, but I would have to drive to get the right spot and being WFH sprint work on the turbo is just so easy to fit in vs the outside alternative.