Old 04-14-22, 10:13 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8281 Post(s)
Liked 9,053 Times in 4,479 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
Now I'm kicking myself for a maintenance mistake I thought I'd learned. A month (or was it a couple months?) ago I did the preliminary chain check with a Park chain checker (CC-3 variety). It moved a little, but wasn't close to dropping, so I figured I'd check it in a couple weeks. This week I got a round tuit.

So the chain I didn't change back then -- now it's going to cost me that chain, a cassette, and either all three chainrings or a new crank. Just think how much I saved!
I'm terrible with maintenance. I usually wait until the entire drivetrain is trashed before I do anything. My triple crank bike was in that condition when I stopped riding it in 2012. I used it from time to time as the newer bike was down for broken wheels and last year I decided to put a new chain on and see if it would work with the old rings and cassette. It was so bad I was afraid it was all junk but the new chain didn't skip and only the middle ring was unusable. The chain would hang off the inside of the ring, pretty weird, but my LBS guy gave me a used one for free! Now it's fine in all gears even when I stand on the pedals.

Back when I used the 7 speed stuff I had rollers fall off the chain on more than one occasion. Yes, they will still go with just a pin. Also had a plate separate on one end when I was in the mountains. I heard the noise but I didn't want to stop. Made it down the mountain (with a little bit of climbing) with just one side holding that link together.