tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1671 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 1,062 Posts
Originally Posted by stelpa
I would love to find a bike that is light and small, with some gears (more than 3 would be nice), for riding to the train, have it on the train, and then riding to the working place. It doesn't need to be for big mountains or gravel but the surroundings have some small hills why I want more gears
I'm sorry you haven't been able to see and ride a Dahon K3 to find out if the gearing range would be okay, because otherwise it's very light, folds very small and in your price range. Great bike for multimodal commuting.

with horizontal folding bikes like the Mariner you have to set the handlebar at a certain hight and tilt it in order to fold it in between the two wheels... this seems to be a lot of "unnecessary" fumbling around to fold it before entering the train and then have to adjust it again as you get off.... or is this just something you get used to?
When I showed my wife how to fold her new Dahon, her eyes crossed and she whimpered. A week later she was folding it like a boss.

the Eezz has an interesting folding style and is lightweight and small but the pedals don't fold which I think is uncomfortable - can you switch to other pedals?
Every EEZZ I've seen has easily removable pedals that snap into a holder when the bike is folded. This is not uncommon with better folding bicycles. Many posters here have upgraded from folding pedals to removable pedals. The latest top-of-the-line Brompton titanium and carbon fiber €€€€€€ model has (one) removable pedal instead of a folding pedal.

I also looked into the Curl -
Great bike, but it's going to be out of your stated price range.

Curl...further others the saddle has to be removed (!!) to be stuck into a seperate holding device.
If folding no smaller than a Brompton is okay, you don't need to pull the Curl's saddle. If you want an even smaller fold, pulling the saddle out and clipping it in the holder is no big deal.

Yesterday I tried to lay eyes on a Dahon Bike in reality not only on the internet. But unfortunately that was impossible!
I went to the second biggest town to check out the stores which - officially - should sell Dahon bikes. But one store only had 4 Tern link, the other had 1 Tern link and about 5 Bromptons, the other had 2 Tern (link and verge). that't it...

What would be your suggestions?
If you've never owned a folding bike, seeing one and riding it and folding it in the shop before you buy is a good idea.

Last edited by tcs; 04-22-22 at 10:34 AM.