View Single Post
Old 07-01-20, 08:51 AM
MLux

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by headwind15
Hi, Yes the stem rise that I referred to is the angle . I would recommend that you measure (on your road bike) Because, it sounds like you like the reach on that bike. The distance from the saddle nose to the stem center. Now measure (on the Surly) the distance from the saddle nose to the stem center. Compare distances. The difference between the two is how much longer a stem will make it to your preferred reach. Calculating the stem angle that will work can likely be figured out as well. The model of bikes I have...I build Ravello frames, and have aluminum and steel ones plus a Windsor tourist. For me the magic number for me is 19.25 ", from seat to the stem center, but this is not about me. You need to know what your preferred reach is for you. I usually use about a 100mm stem. I would go crazy if I were to put 70mm stems on my bikes. Likely to feel like my hands were on my knees. I do definitely recommend that you ditch the 70 stem.
When I do this measurement though, is it horizontal and the tape measure actually is above the stem center when I'm measuring? Or do I account for drop (which would add length) and the tape measure is on a slight angle, not parallel with the ground?

When I just measured (without keeping the tape measure parallel), the Surly distance is appx 15 in. My road bike (the Ruby) is 17in. However, I ride the Ruby in a more aggressive position than I want to ride the Surly. I see how that maybe doesn't matter though, and that positioning is actually achieved by the stem angle. Correct? (Hope I'm making some sense!)

Basically, you're saying a longer stem will make the bike feel bigger, but at a stem angle where I can achieve the zero drop, saddle height = handelbar height that I'm looking for. Yes?