clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,057 Times in 1,256 Posts
Originally Posted by Patrick L.
I got this from a friend about a month ago. It's a Drake (made in India) bike with Sturmey Archer three speed AW hub and Brooks saddle. The hub is dated 12 68.

Does anyone have any information about the Drake company? Was the bike made under license from Raleigh? or did Raleigh have a factory in India? or is Drake an Indian company that copied Raleigh bikes? Any information about the Drake bikes will be appreciated. Thanks.

The same friend also sold to me an Indian-made roadster bike with rod brakes that he bought new approx. 15 years ago, and was never ridden. I'll post that one on a different forum since it doesn't have a three speed hub (I wish it did have one).

Definitely a Raleigh made frame with the only oddity being the crankset. Perhaps the makers of Drake frames needed to add 'Made in India' parts to qualify for tax purposes. Happens often. Should be a great rider.

There were at least a few assembly plants for Raleigh around the world. It's tough to say exactly where it was made. The frame could very well be Nottingham