Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by furiousferret
I just pulled the trigger on Etap; the shifting on my bike has been problematic the past few years; causing one crash and a few near misses. At the core is the difference between my race and training wheels which can't be perfectly switched out and tuned without a limit change. It can get 'close' with a barrel adjustment but far from perfect. The micro adjusting of etap should help.

I'm afraid to sprint because of that shifting issue, several times when shifting the chain doesn't grab the cog and the pedal 'slips'.

I'm probably going to have to get new wheels, @Psimet2001 whats the best way to ensure I get something that aligns with my race wheels?
The best way right out of the box is to get the same hub/freewheel setup. If they are rim brake then most likely they will be close as it is.

Regardless you can use thin shims to get everything exact and repeatable if need be. Most shift systems now are close enough and like you mention - you can micro-adjust e-tap while riding in the drops.