View Single Post
Old 08-12-22, 09:01 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4355 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
Originally Posted by J_Chickles
Yeah --- im a long time Fox guy myself, so am not up to speed on RockShox's product line - i just assumed Suntour ruled that low end coil spring market now.

Interestingly enough (and speaking of Santa Cruz) in 2006 i had a Superlight custom specce'd by Cambria Bicycle Outfitters while in the area on business. I actually requested that they install a Fox Vanilla coil fork on there for me with the springs appropriate for my weight. Air forks were well established by this time, but a good coil fork had a ride quality that was not yet matched , and didnt pack when it got hot like the air forks of the day tended to do - The guys' at CBO warned me the coil fork added about a pound of weight , but after speaking to me they realized i had actually given it some thought

Not trying to counterpoint you or anything, as that was -- sheesh - over 16 years ago. My new bike is all air , and even some of the big travel DH forks are air now, so im guessing they got the packing issue sorted out long ago
There are still good high end coil shocks but most you will find stock aren't so good. SR Suntour does rule that market but they also make some nicer forks as well. I probably wouldn't generally run their stuff as I do prefer Fox or Rockshox though the look of the Manitou with the polished crown is pretty hot.