Old 05-05-20, 04:14 AM
Attilio

Bikes: Salsa!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 39 Posts
I got back into riding the last year or so in order to have an inexpensive 2nd vehicle. Found it was so much fun, especially my Salsa Journeyman flat bar, and so much more exercise than walking or hiking I decided to get really into it with my Warbird late last year.

I have type 1 diabetes (not 2 so I'm not fat!) and have for most of my life since I was little control has been always really good which is why I am complication free and so healthy. I lost 5-10lbs the last year as it's been over 8 months I went alcohol free. I was hoping to lose more but I guess I wasn't drinking that much. Still the energy gain was substantial. I ended up being just as tired and fatigued as before but I am excercising more.

Now I am early 40's, 183lbs, always in pretty good shape but as the kids are getting older I am in better shape than ever. I also like archery, shooting guns, lifting weights and kayaking. Kids getting older has allowed me to do these things and share. Glad to be watching Stranger Things, Goonies and stuff like that so to speak though we do activities as screens are forbidden except distance school/learning now and family movie night. With this "coronacraziness" given I am working from home now I find I am excercising even more the last 2-3 months. I was excercising maybe 1-2 hours a day before, now more like 3-4 hours a day now! My archery is getting amazing at 4-5x a week. Riding almost every day as well as hiking almost every day (1hr each, usually more). Weight lifting and calesthenics 3-4x a week. Kayaking when I can.

I know what you mean about a motorcycle class. I used to race cars and know about the benefits of how to brake, rotation on entry and selecting the line not necessarily that give the biggest radius, but allows you to get on the power as soon as possible, not necessarily stomping on it as that raises the wheels that steer and causes understeer. Power, even a little bit = grip and rotation which is why I prefer flat bar. More control = more speed.

I keep wanting to go back to the drop bar because the Warbird feels so awesome as it's supposed to be 'faster' but it ends up being less comfortable and much slower on account of the bad grip, poor control especially at high speed on bumpy road and slow shifting, lousy braking control and bad hand position as compared to a flat bar. Having to constantly change position for every control input is not intuitive and slows me down. I'd rather pedal against the strongest headwind upright, it's much faster than not being in control! I will raise the bar this morning a bit and bring the allen key in case I need to make adjustments during the ride. Thanks for suggestions will see how this ride pans out.

Last edited by Attilio; 05-05-20 at 04:22 AM.