Old 07-29-21, 11:27 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8264 Post(s)
Liked 9,000 Times in 4,456 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001

Still can't fully shake it. Count your blessings and enjoy your day. Also: avoid fixed gear crits. Sure this could happen in any race but can't help but feel like with fixed gear crits it's just kind of fulfilling a prophesy when this stuff happens.
I know people who ride fixed gear everywhere, events, club rides, even in the mountains. Naturally there have been some bad crashes with these guys. Sure, bad crashes happen on geared bikes but I think being fixed takes away some of the ability to avoid trouble. Plus it seems easier to lock up the rear wheel when descending in a turn, not to mention pedal strikes.
I've ridden with fixed gear riders and even track riders on track bikes and they were safe to be around but there is certainly an added danger, especially the track bikes with no brakes.
And thanks for the Joe Theismann memory. The guy wanting a picture reminds me of a line in "North Dallas Forty". One player asks another what he felt while injured on the field. "Satisfaction" was his answer.