View Single Post
Old 08-01-21, 05:32 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 471 Posts
Originally Posted by delbiker1
FYI, I have Tiagra 4400 9 speed. The hoods look just like the 6500 hoods. I took a right 4400 and put it on a right 6500 and it is a perfect match. I have 3300 8 speed Sora also, the hoods are not identical, and I did not try them on the 6500, but If I was to look at them both with hands mounted on them, I really do not think I could tell the difference. 6600 hoods are much different, and they match up with 4500 9 and 4600 10 speed hoods. I have all of those models and I never noticed that until looking for this thread. 6700, of course, with all cables under the tape, is different. I do not have spare hoods.
Great info..thanks. More options that fit increases the odds I'll find something that will work. It sounds like the 4400 hoods are the same as 5500 & 6500. Are you saying the 3300 actually fits the 6500, but just looks a little different? At this point..if I found a pair of 3300 hoods and they fit..looking a bit different won't matter.

Originally Posted by dedhed
Part # is shown as either Y6BS98090 or Y6BZ98090

https://si.shimano.com/pdfs/ev/EV-ST-6500-B-2047.pdf
Parts numbers help..thanks. Yet another option for searching. From my searches on forums in general..it seems many have searched for these hoods and they just don't exist (although there is one NOS pair on ebay for $140). I think my best option will be to find a (preferably) non-working pair of 3300(?), 5500, or 6500 shifters and use the hoods. Not seeing any "parts-only" shifters anywhere thus far.

Originally Posted by MNebiker
A couple suggestions:

Look for a LBS near you that is listed as a Shimano Service Center - There should be one in the Milwaukee, Racine, Kenosha area, maybe even in the northern Chicago suburbs. They may have an assortment of NOS replacement parts. I remember Racine had an old-time bike shop, but can't recall the name.

Or - See if there is a local bike Co-Op and rummage through their bins of miscellaneous parts.
Good thoughts..I'll look into these today. There is a co-op in Milwaukee. I donated a bike there last year..Specialized Crossroads I think. Found it in a recycle yard..perfectly functional, just needed a cleanup. I need a few parts for a friend's bike..if I found a complete bike with the parts she needs and the right shifters I need for hoods..I'd buy it (and give what's left back to the co-op for another rebuild). South Shore Cyclery in Cudahy is an old-time like shop...they know me. They may have something laying around..

Originally Posted by Koyote
I'm curious: how old was the rack, has it been exposed to the weather a lot, etc...?

That sort of info might be of use to some of us in assessing when to replace our own racks.
Actual age of the rack..not sure as I bought it used. As a guess..10-15 years? Has been working fine. No visible corrosion. I have replacement straps for the rear tire-tray, but haven't needed them yet. Fork mounts are solid and function well. It's outside most of the summer being used. Inside in the winter. A heads-up for people to evaluate their own racks is why I made this post initially. Had I updated the fastening hardware(as I'll be doing now) before this happened, it wouldn't have happened. I have seen replacement tray/fork mounts on the web that have a more substantial bolt in place of the one that sheared on my rack. Thule may have been aware the original bolt was "light". I haven't decided yet whether this rack will continue (for me) as I've been focusing on the shifter-hood. In the grand scheme, the damage is minor. That said..I value keeping older bikes/equipment maintained and in good use. Looking at the shifter now..I'm bummed. I rode the bike the day before this happened and was thinking as I rode..the bike and shifters really couldn't run more smooth. On the stand, the shifter seems to function normally. I'll tape things up today and take it for a ride..we'll see
Likes For fishboat: