Old 04-25-18, 01:34 PM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
So when did you grow up here? I grew up here too and in my view, we have been a mecca/epicenter since at least the early 70's for me and I know bike business was strong well before that. Gov. Tom McCall was given a Paramount in the 60's I believe for some big bike-centric project or program.

We have a rich racing history as well, Alpenrose Veoldrome built for 1964 Olymipic trials and much more.

Also as I said earlier in this thread, Merz, Newlands and DiNucci set the frame building bar pretty high fairly early on as well.

I was in PDX From 73 to 83, grade school through HS and then part time while in College through 86. I was in the burbs and not an avid cyclist so my bike awareness isn't what it is now. I agree that the velodrome has a long history, but I was more referring to the explosion of frame builders, parts builders and bike infrastructure in the last 30+ years. As a Seattleite I find Portland to be way ahead of the curve for cyclists by comparison. I used to take the train (with my bike) to visit my folks and I could go from downtown near the Amtrak station to close to Clackamas high school (Original location on Webster rd) with light rail or bike path/lane the entire way except for about 100 feet. I also have done a few Sunday Parkways rides in the Rose city and wish there was something as cool in Seattle. (Sunday lake Washington Blvd for bikes only in the summer is nice but not the same)

Last edited by ryansu; 04-25-18 at 07:45 PM.