Old 10-07-21, 10:18 PM
cooperryder

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 1,494 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by DQRider
Very nice! Grocery run, you say? Where do the groceries go? No racks, no bags, must be a backpack, right? I've been struggling with the same issue on my latest build, The seatpost clamp-on rack just doesn't work with standard bungies. The load always wants to shift, and at the worst possible time. The cargo net is too fiddly. But the Diamond Back Apex doesn't have braze-ons for a rear rack. So I'm forced to resort to Engineering...

I'll figure it out. Since this will be a winter bike anyway, I'm not averse to using P-clamps. Those deserve a spot in the Bodge-It Hall of Fame right alongside duct tape, zip-ties, Super Glue, and WD-40.
Grocery runs are usually on this bike, a Canadian made Miele with a rack and large Wald basket.

It gets the most miles because it seems I'm usually needing to carry something.

Sometimes I need to carry a smaller amount and ride a different bike but grab a couple of the heavy duty cloth reusable grocery bags with sturdy cloth handles.

I try to balance the weight between the two bags and then tie them on the bars with a regular double knot.

The cloth handle easily allows me to untie the double knot when I arrive at home.

I should have taken a snap with both bags on the handlebar.

I don't really recommend this method because an unbalanced load can cause steering issues and the sacks need to be cinched up high enough to minimize any sway and hitting the front tire.

A back pack would probably be safer or some method of quickly adding a rack, panniers or basket. Let us know if you come up with a solution.

On my first bike tour I used p clamps to secure racks and they held up fine for 2500 miles with a pretty heavy load.
Likes For cooperryder: