View Single Post
Old 05-23-22, 09:46 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
I finished applying the paint to my Centurion Elite over the weekend. It's killing me waiting for it to dry so that I can start putting parts on it to see how it'll look. I'm going to try to wait two weeks, but it'll be tough. I ended up needing a second can of Rust-Oleum, which really eats into my budget. I was hoping to have enough left for decals, but with the extra paint and $8 for bar tape I'm up to $91 and I still need to account for the cables I'll be pulling from my bulk stock. I guess the decals will have to wait until after the Challenge unless.... @Narhay, can I claim paint as a cleaning supply?

Speaking of cleaning supplies, I also soaked the original parts in Evapo-Rust this weekend. None of them were significantly rusty...just a bit of surfaces rust around the nuts and bolts on a few of them. Now most of the parts are shining like new. (Why was the chrome on Japanese bottom brackets so nice?) The one sad discovery is that one of the adjuster screws on the Cyclone rear derailleur is bent. Hopefully it's in the correct position already! I also noticed that the rear drive side dropout is bent in quite a bit. I wish I had seen that before I painted it. I'll be able to space it back out to 126 and align it properly, but there's a visible bend near the bottom of the seat stay that I guess is permanent now.