View Single Post
Old 01-20-22, 09:31 AM
mdoleman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Disc brake "lock out(?)" on easy descent

Bear with me, I am new to disc brakes. I searched for similar issues and couldn't find anything that specifically matched my experience, so I hope this thread might be useful.

For frame-of-reference, I've been riding for many, many years, and have built-up/maintained dozens of bikes. I recently had a new custom frame built for all-roads style sport touring -- a bit of a do-everything bike. I outfitted it with fairly top-end components, including Yokozuna Ultimo, flat-mounted disc brake calipers. These are a cable-actuated hydraulic brake, four piston, and use Shimano Deore XT (Saint/Zee) style pads. I set them up, initially, to be about as "tight" as I could get them, without rubbing. Meaning I adjusted them such that the calipers would start grabbing at almost any degree of lever pull.

I took a couple initial rides to get the pads bedded-in, more or less as suggested in the instructions. But I honestly didn't do anything really specific, other than pedal up to speed and brake to a stop, medium-hard, a couple dozen times. After that, everything seemed fine to me. The brakes worked great, seemed like no problem. TBH I am slightly mystified by the whole bedding-in process, as I didn't feel much (if any) before/after difference.

On my first "real" ride, I descended a stretch of muddy dirt road that dropped about 500 feet in a little under a mile -- certainly nothing epic, but consistent 10 to 12 percent, and a little technical. Brakes seemed to be doing fine. Toward the end of the descent, however, I noted that the brakes were really grabbing immediately, upon the slightest activation of the lever. At the bottom of the descent, after stopping, I noticed that the rear wheel was basically locked-up. The rotor had the slight discoloration indicating overheating. I had to loosen the caliper to proceed -- which was no big deal, and the remainder of the ride went on without a hitch.

I already know that at least part of problem (and maybe the whole problem) is: 1) my perhaps too-tight initial set-up, and 2) my very lazy technique of dragging the rear brake down the descent. Yet -- as I've said -- this wasn't exactly an epic, taxing descent -- three/four minutes and it was over. I have to believe the something else is perhaps up. This is the type of terrain and riding that I will be tackling all the time on this bike, so I want to get it right. Do I just set the calipers a little looser? Do I work on my braking technique? Different rotors? Different pads?

On that last point, I know it will be asked, and I have to honestly say that I do not know exactly what kind of pads came with the brakes. If I had to guess, I'd assume they are a semi-metallic. So far they have made absolutely zero noise at all, if that's a clue. They seem to modulate quite well.

Thanks for any information.