View Single Post
Old 03-14-20, 02:48 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8287 Post(s)
Liked 9,064 Times in 4,483 Posts
Originally Posted by eagletree
Well, this club has a nominal membership fee, but they offer a package deal for all the major rides of the year. At the time it sounded like a good idea so I did it. This year it possibly wasn't the best time to do that. I wanted to get the benefits of competitive pacing for fitness, safety to ride roads I would never ride on my own, and possibly cultivate friendships. It just turns out that the freedom sensation of riding alone, just my front tire and a few yards of asphalt in front of me, is likely the major reason I ride outside of fitness.

The regimentation comment is just in comparison to how I live my life. A club ride has a starting line that you have to be at at a certain time, release papers, number tag, approximate schedule to finish the ride, reflectors and fenders required etc. That's what I mean by regimentation. I recognize that to most people, this would not be regimented, but just the things you accept to get to the fun.
Who knows, maybe eventually you'll meet someone you enjoy riding with. I'm a bit of a hermit myself, so I understand the solo thing, and you also seem to be a very analytically minded person which works with solo riding.