View Single Post
Old 09-26-21, 08:06 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4423 Post(s)
Liked 4,876 Times in 3,019 Posts
Originally Posted by Moisture
Power output, like someone else mentioned is a subjective measurement. Longer crank arms (ie. Too long) doesn't necessarily mean more power output because it is more difficult to spin them past a certain speed.

If 175mm is fine for your legs, which I'm sure it is, I doubt you have any problems. I know a Taiwanese forging factory which sells a complete crankset with bottom bracket for $90 USD in any size... by all means, it was worth the experimentation for me.

I took my Felt (fitted with 185mm) crank arms out for a second ride yesterday.. and well... out of the two main bikes I used, ill go for 185mm over 170mm every single time. I actually find biking much more enjoyable and natural as far as spinning is concerned.

with the 190mm, even an extra 5mm difference and literally just 1mm too long for my inseam caused a lumpy spin and a strange dead zone in my cadence.
Well power output is pretty objective when using a power meter.

But that aside I see no reason to experiment with longer cranks. If there was some credible research suggesting longer cranks might be better or if my very experienced fitter was recommending them for a particular reason, then I would be more inclined to try. But based on all I've read and heard I'm far more inclined to experiment with shorter cranks, if anything. But not to the point where I would swap out cranks on my current bikes as I don't have any particular issue to resolve. But I am contemplating fitting 170 mm cranks on my next road bike build. Just to see if there are any benefits for endurance riding. I'm pretty sure it won't be a problem or any major revelation for me.
Likes For PeteHski: