View Single Post
Old 07-22-21, 02:54 PM
RustyJames 

Bikes: You had me at rusty and Italian!!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked 1,053 Times in 545 Posts
Originally Posted by Frejuser
Good morning - first post here. I'm restoring an '61 Legnano Gran Premio with original Fiamme 27 inch clincher rims. I've tried Panaracer Pasela as well as Gatorskins tires, both have blown off the rim with the tire exploding. No bead on the rim. The tires were "too easy" to mount so I had suspected this may happen and slowly pumped it up checking every 5 pumps. Thought it was going to be successful when a few minutes later: BANG! Any suggestions with what tires to run here? Thanks.
First off - welcome! Always great to see another Legnano owner bringing a noble steed back to life. Yes, we’ll want to see pictures.

Not much to add beyond what others have said about tire compatibility. I recently put some Vittorias on my non-hooked rims and it took a bit of fiddling but all seems okay now. If it is still a problem, tubular rims/wheels would be very appropriate and nice ones can be found for very good prices. I bought a vintage set with entry level Campy hubs for $60 and they spin like butter.