Old 08-06-22, 09:01 PM
timtak

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2 SL 2007, Look KG386, R022 Re-framed Azzurri Primo, Felt Z5, Trek F7.3 FX

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 73 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey

The point is, you don't have to go to all that trouble, because making the "Funny Bike" doesn't get you anything. You could be just as fast, maybe faster, on a modern aero bike.
I think that it is you who is missing the point, of the thread, gene, which is regarding whether the modern aero bike is a bad bargain. Assessments will depend on income but, if you can get to within 3 percent of the modern aero bike for 1/8 to 1/4 of the cost then that that his bang on the point of the thread.

But of course, you're free to build your bike any way that you want. Go crazy. But just know that you're not really getting much advantage over the guy who goes into the bike shop and buys the Latest And Greatest.
If I were getting no advantage at 1/4 to 1/8 of the cost, that might be of interest to readers of the thread.

And when you say "build" I am talking about a foward offset seat post and a very long stem (and narrow bars if it does not have them). It is a "build" that takes (if the wires are long enough, and they often are since the bards go down as well as fowards) 20 minutes or less.

So, your whole argument that modern aero bikes are unaerodynamic is clearly nonsense. Big Bike and the Demon UCI are not forcing/seducing the bike buying public into buying unaerodynamic bikes to mimic their Pro Tour heros, leading them to be - shame of all shames! - comfortable!
Thank you yes. My argument that group ride bikes (such as the Ribble) in the video may be unaerodynamic may be proved incorrect. I am still not entirely sure however since
1) They did seem to be having issues with the gear changing which may have slowed them on the funny bike
2) They claimed that the tires may have 10 watts less efficient
3) The time trial was very short, which may have enabled them to use the uncomfortable looking compact hooks on the Ribble
4) They had wide bars on their funny bike whereas I have or fit narrow bars to mine
5) They both ride aero road bikes and it is quite possible the only time the have ridden the funny bike was on the two runs, for which the breakdown of the two times were not given. If they had more time to get use to the funny bike and the riding position that it might have encouraged (given the chance to get used ot it) the funny bike might have done better.
6) The two GCN guys are I THINK (presumably being paid to be) on the Ribble page advertising the super-bike which may suggest a conflict of interest!
https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribble-ultra-sl-r/

Tim

Last edited by timtak; 08-06-22 at 10:42 PM. Reason: add point 5
Likes For timtak: