bargo68 
Dedicated Detritus Dodger

Bikes: Some mighty fine ones at that!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I have no idea where this rule of thumb comes from, and I'm not sure I even understand it. Does it mean you could do all that riding in one day plus the additional miles you do in a routine week during the rest of the week? Or does it mean do all of iit one day and take part or all of the rest of the week off? That's a huge difference in the total number of miles in the space of a few days and I don't know about anyone else, but I do find there's some carry-over in tiredness from day to day when I get into really long ride situations (130 miles or more in a day).

Also, as bargo's example shows, there's got to be a point in routine daily mileage where the one day long ride distance involved becomes preposterous. But even worse--if you're already riding 250 per week, are you really going to be able to double that total in a week even if you spread the extra miles over a couple or three days? That doesn't seem obvious to me.

I actually ride between 200 and 225 miles a week, but that includes 100 miles on Saturday, and 50 miles on Sunday, plus 50-75 miles during the work week. I have no idea how that fits into this rule of thumb--does it just mean that I can increase my Saturday ride to 125 (I have from time to time), or is it telling me I can do 225 miles in a day in addition to what I'm already doing? I'm pretty sure I can't.
I take it to mean that if I routinely ride 150-200 a week, then I should be able to do 150-200 in one ride. Ain't gonna happen as my fitness stands today.