View Single Post
Old 11-20-19, 06:16 PM
Sertsa

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 67 Posts
Congratulations! I'm a bit envious and am having similar thoughts. (Although the grocery store is about 12 miles away along not-so-bike-friendly roads. It also snows here nearly half the year). I've also been a "car guy" since childhood but am increasingly aware of and bothered by the cost of ownership and problems they create. And I am looking more toward how much I could possibly get around on a bike or other means of transportation.

I guess my thought process has been going this way for a few years now. For instance, in 2012 I needed a new car and could finally afford the kind I once pined for (and seemed to be expected of me at that point). I test drove a few, some were fun, others disappointing, and I realized I rather liked how much my aging, rusting, modest car stood out amidst the grey luxury in the office's parking garage. I test drove another modest car (with a manual), liked it, and thought of all the things I could justify buying by not buying a fancy car. Long-lasting things, too, like an acoustic guitar and books. And perhaps most-importantly, no car payment pushing me to remain in a job I found spirit-crushing.

So I'm jealous you're able to break free of cars altogether.