View Single Post
Old 11-22-19, 01:11 AM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Bikes: 1990 Raleigh Flyer (size 21"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 15"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 17.5"); 2019 Dahon Mu D9; 2020 Dahon Hemingway D9

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked 1,494 Times in 496 Posts
I was never out to declare myself "car-free." I still drive a rental three days of each week. It's what's involved in owning an automobile that I've grown averse to.

I can't see myself swearing off automobiles entirely, either. In fact, I've always believed, and still do believe that the automobile is the single greatest invention of our modern times, given the billions of people that benefited and the innumerable utility that it fostered.

Will I ever buy me an automobile again? I might, but the next automobile I intend to pay for isn't even for me; my mom wants me to help her replace her good old 1991 Mirage that's getting long in the tooth - which is largely my mom's fault: she's the "Hey, as long as it starts and drives, there's nothing wrong with it" type of driver. Besides, she crashed the poor thing so many times it's not even funny anymore.

As for me, if I'm in the market anytime soon, id be out for something new, cheap, and basic. I really like the minimalist, playful nature and nonchalant, honest-to-God attitude of the rental I drive each week, so I just might get me one of those. No lease, no installment plans, just outright cash.

And even if for not much else, it does have room for a folding bike.

Last edited by sjanzeir; 01-27-20 at 01:16 AM.