Old 06-23-21, 06:28 PM
ghcoe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Bike Caravan/Camp Trailer for Touring? Build #5

Hello, George here.
I build light weight trailers for vehicles with low to no towing capacity. My 4'x8' trailers come in around 375lbs and my 5'x8' come in around 450lbs.

My builds are not traditional builds since they are made of foam and canvas which allows for the light construction. The 4'x8' trailers I use weight 253lbs and the bodies I build weigh 122lbs which includes the door (28lbs) and a window (10lbs).

Last fall I had a response to one of my build adds that inquired if I build, or could build a caravan/camp type trailer to be pulled behind a e-bike. They had notice the weight difference of my builds to traditional built teardrop type trailers, which is generally 25%-50% lower than similar sized traditional built trailers. I had never really though of a caravan type trailer for bicycles before, but it did interest me.

They asked me if I though I could keep a build under 100lbs and be able to sleep one person. They also gave me some direction on European built bicycle caravan/trailers for references.

One thing I realized right away is there is no set way to build a bicycle trailer. So many different types of builds are out there. In doing more research I did find some more popular builds, mostly home made models that gave me direction on the build I plan to do.

I just finished my last clients trailer so now I am starting this trailer build. There was no real place to post this thread in so I chose this one since if you are touring some may want a caravan/trailer for the ride.