View Single Post
Old 12-01-21, 09:55 AM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 194 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Why not just do the easy thing and remove your inner chain ring?

Your set up may be wrong. I use Shimano STI for decades with zero front shifting issues even on extremely wide range cranks. If you are using a mountain bike triple…which sounds like you are…,
Do you mean remove the middle chain ring, and then move the largest ring to what was the middle spot. Remember, I've currently got a Sugino 46-36-26 crankset, so I'm guessing it was more road then MTB..

The wonkiness of the shifting comes with both Ultegra or Tiagra STI triple brifters, in that, to go from the large ring down to the middle, I have to press the small lever twice very carefully and with precision so the chain drops down into the middle ring (that damn trimming mode). Have to be careful because at times it will then drop down to smallest ring. Then when trying to get back into the largest ring from the middle ring, I sometimes have to drop into the smaller ring and climb from the bottom thru the middle to get back to the big ring. Other times I can get it to go back up to the big ring from the middle ring as it should. Now admittingly I have the chainline set up to take full advantage of the largest ring 46, since that's where I'm at over 90% of the time.
Now I know I'm about to hear that it's all in my set up and I'm an idiot (which is sometimes true) but others have tried without satisfactory results as well.