• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10176 Post(s)
Liked 5,872 Times in 3,161 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Agree.

What I have noticed is that an easy paced ride (say Z2-3) causes my sugar to go down into a good zone (about 100-ish) and stay there, while a harder ride (Z3-4 with occasional anaerobic bursts) causes my sugar to spike to 150-ish (because adrenaline) for an hour or so, and then it gradually works its way down to 100-ish. I did a 90 mile really hard ride and did not have any low sugar concerns, although I ate reasonably well for it.

Maybe I am too skeptical, but I believe these units are GREAT for folks with diabetes (especially with T1DM and when the sensor is integrated with an insulin pump) to track what actions raise and don't raise their sugars, but for an athlete I don't see much use.
So, ignorant question here: Given the ability of brain, skeletal, and cardiac muscle to metabolize lactate and ketones, which are abundant during prolonged exercise, would a somewhat low glucose even be a concern?

Also, are you finding it effective at other times to blunt the highs? My brother has mild T2DM, which he's controlling with diet and exercise, and maybe should have one.