View Single Post
Old 05-25-22, 03:48 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22600 Post(s)
Liked 8,928 Times in 4,160 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
So, ignorant question here: Given the ability of brain, skeletal, and cardiac muscle to metabolize lactate and ketones, which are abundant during prolonged exercise, would a somewhat low glucose even be a concern?

Also, are you finding it effective at other times to blunt the highs? My brother has mild T2DM, which he's controlling with diet and exercise, and maybe should have one.
I suspect that our homeostatic mechanisms keep sugar reasonably well controlled, but I also suspect that after several hours of hard work and inadequate calorie intake, when one is bonking or on the verge of it, sugar may dip. That is my best guess about what this might actually be useful for.

I have IFG (pre-diabetes) and I notice that if I have a naughty snack between meals (like that donut I had last Tuesday), my sugar really spikes (up to about 180) for an hour. So I think it could be very helpful as a feedback device to discourage such naughtiness, in a person who is motivated. Again, most useful for T1DM for insulin dosing etc. That's my sense.