Old 06-06-22, 07:41 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2613 Post(s)
Liked 1,958 Times in 1,227 Posts
It would probably be easier and cheaper to change to a mountain compact crank, perhaps in the neighborhood of 44/26, than to go whole hog and go to a triple. Even with a triple, it'll take some effort to avoid those 52-42-30 monstrosities that still won't give you a decent low gear. (FWIW, I aim for a 20 gear inch low; you're about 50% higher than that right now.)

You may give up a bit of gearing range at the top end with the gearing change. And if you do approach 20 gear inch low gear, you're likely to increase your cadence. I'd approach this as one big change: change your crank, try out an inexpensive MTB clipless pedal, and get some shoes that'll fit. Learn to clip in and clip out, work to increase your cadence, and give it three months. If you really don't like it, put your platforms back on the bike and take the cleats off your new shoes.

Note that this may (not guaranteed) keep you from hurting your knees. If I try to climb a long, steep hill and let my cadence drop below 60-65 rpm, my knees tell me about it that night and sometimes the next day. With lower gearing, you can keep your spin up and avoid such problems. Note 2: if the road is really sketchy (steep and loose, for example), you can clip out as you approach that section and pedal on the instep of your feet. Especially as a clipless newby, that'll let you dab a foot down quickly if it becomes necessary.
Likes For pdlamb: