View Single Post
Old 07-12-20, 05:17 AM
deux jambes

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 196 Posts
1984 Benotto Modelo 3000

WARNING: If restomod approaches to rare vintage Italian racing frames offend you, you may want to click your browser's back button now! This build is an account of taking such a frame, and applying such an approach. The primary goal here, being simply to build a lightweight ( ~ 20lbs), affordable machine within a reasonable amount of time, that will be a sheer joy to ride. All of this ,without apology...
__ __ __

This bit of steel popped up for sale here a while back. It was a bit rough looking, but its condition was well documented. I think its condition scared most people away since it lingered on the sales page for approximately a year or so. The price was very fair, and at 54 cm it was just my size. I took delivery of it December 2019. Here’s a few pics after unpacking::

Before going any further, I’d like to thank @francophile for offering this great frame, and for working graciously with me so that I could I have a chance to put it back on the road.

— — —

After assessing the extent of rust, and getting no where with various noninvasive interventions, I decided it was time to get drastic by going with a full strip to bare metal:

Last edited by deux jambes; 07-13-20 at 10:54 AM.