Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by lyf
What helped me improve my speed was listening to the Peter Attia podcast episode with Iñigo San Millán. He talks about how he trains pro-level cyclists with heart rate zones, and how it relates to mitochondrial function -- and what heart rate zones to train at to maximize the mitochondrial efficiency, so you do not switch to glucose prematurely.

The regimen he recommends is 80% of maximum heart rate (around 160 for me) for a few hours a week. This is actually a pretty relaxed pace where you can still talk but are breathing somewhat heavily. Looking at the training schedule of elite level cyclists, apparently they do this most of the year and do little high-intensity to prep for a race (in terms of percentage training time).
Yes, that pace is technically described as below AeT or VT1, below the aerobic threshold. It's best definable by breathing rather than HR. This HR recommendation is close, but flawed because MHR is hard to know and an individual's AeT is not necessarily right at that percentage anyway. Crossing AeT, one's breathing rate will show a definite increase. My AeT is at about 78% of FTP.