View Single Post
Old 03-19-21, 08:45 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1098 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
Wheels in that price range are a big waste of money for those who don't race. I recently read about how the deep profile area of some enve wheels can get pressurized and blow up the rim. The arbitrary 1500 gram weight limit is interesting. Disc brake bikes weigh quite a bit more to start with. I'd be less concerned with the weight, since it's the aerodynamics that's supposed to be most important feature of deep profile wheels. If your body weight isn't at the minimum within 100 grams, a little more wheel weight won't kill you.

I've recently built up my first two disc bikes. Even with 200 gram lighter frames, they weigh considerably more than the rim braked bikes they replaced. Even though I weigh 133-138, I chose Michelin 28mm tubeless tires, so I could try the low air pressure of 62/64 psi. I must say that they ride and roll well. I've hit 55 mph on some descents with no problem. I chose low profile fulcrum racing 3 wheels because I can get into some nasty cross winds in the mountains. I really wanted rims that don't require rim tape with tubeless. So far they've worked great.

This company gets a lot of positive feedback at the paceline forum. They custom build whatever you want. https://btlos.com/road-bike A carbon wheelset with DT hubs, under 1500 grams can be had for about $1065.

Last edited by DaveSSS; 03-19-21 at 12:14 PM.