View Single Post
Old 11-04-21, 09:17 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,364 Times in 945 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
I can see that working well. I don't see myself doing it much if at all though.

I am inclined to keep my phone disconnected or even powered down most of the time in my current usage patterns on tour. I'd most likely keep it powered on more, but might or might not stay connected more with an e-ink phone. I figure I'd probably tether infrequently if at all. I'd use the OLED phone mostly off line other than when I was able to get a wifi connection at some stop.

A least that is how I envision using it. It is likely all moot in my case since I probably won't spring for an e-ink phone since I'd only use it on tour or other stuff like backpacking or canoe trips. Maybe they will invent a multi layer screen with both modes that can do both. I suspect they isn't the demand to drive that happening even if it were possible.
"Staying connected" is kind of ambiguous.

gauvins is (it appears) mostly interested in using it as a navigation device. It doesn't need to be connected (to the internet) for that. I think one should generally use navigation that doesn't need to be connected.

Tethering probably wouldn't be that useful for "staying connected" since it won't generally pass along things like texts or voice calls.

Different people are going to have different needs (so the extra phone thing won't suit everybody). But it's useful/interesting seeing people try it.

The dual screen idea has been tried before:

https://www.theverge.com/2019/4/19/1...rupt-yotaphone

Last edited by njkayaker; 11-04-21 at 09:39 AM.